August may be a quiet time for the art world in most of the country, but this month Edinburgh flings open its doors for its international arts festival, with 50 exhibitions featuring over 300 artists. This can feel entirely overwhelming at times – not to mention the Fringe – so we have pick a few of our favourites, from a gorgeous new film by Rosalind Nashashibi to a colourful swimming pool (with matching lifeguards) by Portuguese artist Joana Vasconcelos.
- Rosalind Nashashibi, Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh, 25 July – 25 August 2019
- Grayson Perry: Julie Cope’s Grand Tour, Dovecot Studios, Edinburgh, 25 July – 2 November 2019
- David Batchelor: My Own Private Bauhaus, Ingleby, Edinburgh, 24 July – 28 September 2019
- Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller: Night Walk for Edinburgh, The Fruitmarket Gallery / Around Edinburgh, 25 July – 25 August 2019
- Joana Vasconcelos: Gateway, Jupiter Artland, Edinburgh, 27 July – 29 September 2019
- Caroline Achaintre: Encounter L., Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop, 25 July – 25 August 2019
- Reflection: British Art in an Age of Change, Ferens Art Gallery, Hull, 17 August 2019 – 5 January 2020