If you are on holiday in Dorset at the end of the summer be sure to drop in on a small but fascinating drawing show at Poole Museum, which includes works by Michelangelo, Cézanne, Picasso and Bridget Riley.
The first major event of September is the opening of Artangel’s new commission at Reading Gaol, where some of the biggest names in art and performance respond to themes of isolation, imprisonment and Wilde – the gaol’s most famous inmate.
Around the UK:
- Facing the World: Self-Portraits from Rembrandt to Ai Weiwei, Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh, 16 July – 16 October 2016
- Marcus Harvey: Inselaffe, Jerwood Gallery, Hastings, 16 July – 16 October 2016
- Lines of Thought, Poole Museum, Dorset, 3 September – 6 November 2016
- NEON: The Charged Line, Grundy Art Gallery, Blackpool, 1 September 2016 — 7 January 2017
- INSIDE: Artists and Writers in Reading Prison, HM Prison Reading, 4 September 2016 – 30 October 2016