The Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery, University of Leeds, Parkinson Building, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS2 9JT
With the increasing prominence of loans-based exhibitions it has become essential to master the procedure of requesting and borrowing artworks. The ways of arranging a loan, sometimes on a tight schedule, involves a timeframe, specific packing methods, insurance costs and other factors. Different members of staff collaborate together to safely send or receive a work; from couriers, registrar, conservators and curators collaborate in such arrangements.
This case study day is structured to present an overview for dealing with both incoming and outgoing loans in the UK and is intended for all museum staff involved in the process of loans. While presenting an overview of the loaning bodies the seminar will focus on the practicalities behind a work on display. Speakers will present a detailed overview of their experience, current approaches to the care of artworks and decisions made.
This case study day is suitable for curators, conservators, registrars, couriers and anyone else involved in the loan process. Focused on contemporary artworks the day can be of interest for other collections.
To book a place please email Ilaria@contemporaryartsociety.org
Free event National Network members; £5 for non-members.
13.00 – 13.15; Welcome and Introduction
- Dr. Ilaria Puri Purini, Programmes Manager, Contemporary Art Society.
13.15- 14.15; Loans from Public Collections
- Art Angel Collection at Tate; Phoebe James, Collection Coordinator Art Angel
- Government Art Collection; Jane Fisher, Registrar Government Art Collections
14.15 – 14.40; Case Study
- The Artists Rooms Effect, Helen Welford, Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art.
14.40 to 15.30; Break
- Tea and coffee break with a short visit of Liam Gillick’s sculpture outside the Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery, part of the wider British Art Show on display at the Leeds Art Gallery. This is part of Ahmet Ögüt’s project For the Day After Debt project where he invited artists Liam Gillick, Susan Hiller and Goshka Macuga to design sculptures that act as donation boxes to relieve the student debt.
15.30-16.30 Case Study
- Preservation and Maintenance; Freelance Conservators Tessa Jackson and Laura Davies will discuss challenging projects they encountered.
16.45-17.30 End Notes
- All panellists.